Settled in 1877 Bonanza was the first of two Yankee Fork towns the other being Custer which is just up the road. By 1881 the population had grown to 600 and all the makings of a town were present with hotels, saloons, a newspaper, dentist and post office. Most all of these buildings were wiped out in fires that swept through town in 1889 and then again in 1897. Instead of rebuilding most folks just moved to Custer. Once the last area mine ceased operation in 1911 both towns faded away. Today Bonzana is a small collection of decaying cabins along with a cemetery that sits just west of town. If you continue further west past the cemetery through the woods and up the hill you will find a second cemetery known as Boot Hill. This cemetery only contains three graves all of which are unmarked.The story of these three unmarked graves remains a bit of a mystery, but what is known is that a couple by the name of Richard and Agnes Elizabeth "Lizzie” King, both natives of London, England, moved into Bonanza from Bodie, California in the summer of 1878. The pair soon set up businesses, with Richard selling real estate and Lizzie, who was described as a "golden-haired beauty” opening the Arcade Billiard Saloon and the Yankee Fork Dance Hall. The couple became good friends Bonanza's founder, Charles Franklin, who owned The Franklin House. However, it was Lizzie that tended to spend the most time with Franklin, most often without her husband. In the meantime, Richard and his real estate partner, by the name of William Dillon, weren’t getting along and dissolved the partnership. A short time later, when Dillon allegedly sold some land that belonged to King, an argument erupted and Dillon shot and killed him on July 14, 1879. Dillon wound up being sent to prison for 10 years, and Lizzie was picking out a burial plot for her husband. Charles Franklin, who, by this time had become infatuated with Lizzie, was right at her side, helping her to pick out a site on the hillside that had been recently been designated as Bonanza's new cemetery. Richard King was to be its first occupant. Franklin, who had hopes of winning Lizzie for himself, also bought two more plots, one for himself, and one for Lizzie. Almost immediately after her husband was buried, Franklin began to openly court Lizzie and rumors abounded that they would soon marry. However, Franklin’s plans were foiled when another man by the name of Robert Hawthorne came to town and went to work for Lizzie as a dealer in her saloon. Evidently, he swept the beautiful blonde off her feet, because the two married on August 11, 1880. Just six days later, Robert Hawthorne and Agnes Elizabeth "Lizzie” King Hawthorne were found dead in their home.